What do Veterans Benefits mean for you or your surviving spouse?
age 65 or older; or
• totally and permanently disabled; or
• a patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care; or
• receiving Social Security Disability Insurance; or
• receiving Supplemental Security Income.
Aid and Attendance
• requires the aid of another person to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting themselves from the hazards of their daily environment; or
• is bedridden (disability requires them to remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment); or
• is a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity; or
• has eyesight limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or
• has concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less.
Wartime Service Requirement
• Exception – If you entered active duty after September 7, 1980, generally the minimum service requirement is 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty. Again, at least one day of service must be during a wartime period.
• Discharge must be other than dishonorable.
Eligible Wartime Periods
• Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)
• World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
• World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
• Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
• Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
• Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)
Swank Elder Law
The firm of Britton G. Swank, P.A. is skilled at providing legal assistance to older adults and people of all ages preparing for the future.
10175 Six Mile Cypress Parkway, Ste 4
Fort Myers, Florida 33966
By Appointment Only
702 Leeland Heights Blvd W
Lehigh Acres, Florida 33936