As a senior adult with grown children, are you wondering how to say “I love you” during the month of February, and especially on Valentine’s Day? As you think of your future, the future of your children and your legacy, there is another way you can show your family how much you love them. How about with a Florida estate plan?
A comprehensive Florida estate plan would be a powerful statement of your love to your family. By working with an experienced Florida estate planning attorney, you can create an estate plan thoughtfully and thoroughly and your family will not have to guess at your wishes. In addition, your family will not have to go through lengthy court procedures, challenges with creditors or be without an advocate when you pass away. It is understandably stressful to think about life after your death, but by creating your estate plan you can be sure that the sorrow your loved ones feel is not compounded by a crisis that could have been avoided.
This Valentine’s Day, by having your estate plan you can say “I love you” to your children through your legacy. Consider these five ways to say “I Love You” with estate planning:
1. Keep your family’s future and legacy strong. Through your estate plan, take steps now to limit the reach of creditors to your estate when you pass away, maximize your assets and legacy, and set guidelines to make sure your spouse is provided for in your absence and your children have the opportunity for a good future.
2. Conflict will be averted because of your estate planning now. By making decisions and selecting decision makers now (for example: agents in your power of attorney) you can definitely limit the chances of arguments. This will, instead, allow your loved ones time to focus on dealing with their grief instead of wasting time fighting over what your wishes might have been.
3. Eliminate decision making by others. Your estate planning will take the burden of responsibility off the shoulders of your family by making the tough choices now. It will be incredibly hard for your family members to make well-reasoned decisions during difficult emotional times
4. You need to remove all your stress and the stress of your family. Not only does your family benefit from your estate planning, you do as well. By making end of life decisions now you relieve your stress by alleviating the uncertainty that can come with end of life decision making. Most importantly, once your plan is in place you know that all of your end of life decisions are your own and not someone else’s.
5. Give your family the gift of peace and love with your estate planning. Knowing you have taken care of everything from health care decision making and finances to taxes and wealth transfer strategies, will mean everything to your family when the planning you have put in place needs to be implemented. Giving them peace of mind when it matters most is one of the best ways to say “I love you” to your family during Valentine’s Day.
We know this article may raise more questions than it answers. At Britton G. Swank, P.A., our mission is to guide you in the right direction to help you provide for yourself and your loved ones no matter what the future holds. We want to help you control the assets you have, leave them to people and causes you care about, when you want, in the way you want. We can help you take care of yourself and those you love in the event of disability due to illness, injury or old age. No matter what risks unfold, we can help give you the comfort of knowing you are prepared. We want you to feel good about your future and the future of your loved ones. We encourage you to contact us and schedule a meeting.